Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Maggie bass 'slam' (or lack thereof)?

I suspect that the "bumping" at a dance club, like with most amplified concerts of rock/pop/dance/rap etc., is a function of intentionally boosted bass. If you had a recording with the bass intentionally boosted, I suspect that the 3.6 Maggies would reproduce the "bump" accurately. IMHO, if you are getting additional "bump" from the Vandy's vs. any other speaker, not just the 3.6 Maggies, with normally recorded material, it probably has to do with the frequency response of the Vandy's having a boosted bass range of their own in relation to the other speakers. Artifically boosting the bass is an old trick used by even highly respected designers of loudspeakers. In my experience, naturally recorded bass in music, especially the lower octaves, doesn't really "bump", it is just "there" as a palpable, yet musically distinguishable presence in the room. So if you have an accurate recording of bass, IMHO, the speaker with the "bump" will be the speaker getting it wrong. Just my opinion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.