Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Do real instruments 'bump'?

I'm not convinced by any of this bump or slam stuff. I'm an ex-pro bass player. I've played double bass in orchestras, double bass through an amp for jazz and el-bass through an amp for rock. The acoustic bass is much closer to a planar speaker in the way it reproduces sound waves - it's a large area which vibrates slightly. It's probably no accident that I find double bass through planar speakers the most natural i've heard. Now we come to electric bass. This is ALREADY reproduced through a piston speaker in real life, so that's the sound we come to expect, and that's where the "bump and slam" comes in. Yep, it's good to dance to etc. So I think there's a straight choice - hear the natural instrument with all the nuances and overtones through planar speakers, or reproduce 'amplified bass' and get the effect of a piston going in and out. The confusion comes when Maggies are accused of "not having good bass". Their only sin is that they are not pistons. The sin of pistons is that they are not remotely like a real double bass.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Do real instruments 'bump'? - andy evans 02:44:23 06/10/00 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.