Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: MG1.6 or MG2.7??

I own MG1.6QR's and older MG2.5R's (the ribbon has to handle a lot of the midrange duty). I think people are fooling themselves when they say the MG1.6QR is as anywhere near one of the maggie models with the ribbon....whether it be MG3.6 or whatever. The MG1.6QR is an incredible bargain, but it isn't that great.

Charles Lloyd's sax sounds like a sax with the MG2.5R's....with the MG1.6QR's it doesn't sound nearly as real nor sound as accurate. Granted, my system is geared toward the 2.5R's, but it shouldn't matter that much. Listening to Holst's Planet CD (Saturn etc.) the lowest frequencies are there with the MG2.5R and MIA with the 1.6QR. The MG1.6QR are not as dynamic (dynamic not only in the frequency extremes but in reproducing transients)......they do however display clearer bass and are more cohesive amoung other things, but maggies with the ribbon are what made me fall in love with the maggie sound....the MG1.6QR modified or not cannot duplicate what the ribbon maggies can do.

In conclusion, I think that Mike K. is absolutely correct that the MG3.6R is much much better.....sorry.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.