Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Perception of Maggie Bass response

Without me trying to reitterate the well known qualities of unbaffled Planar dynamic drivers, I wanted to pose a question about a bass preception quality, which in my experience is unique to Magnepan speakers. The bass always sounds "unconvincing" to my ears. Although the bass is clearly audible and seems more or less balanced to same SPL level of the rest of the frequency spectrum, there is no "Impact" or "percussive" feel to the bass. While the bass extension naturally improves as the size of the panels increases, this peculiar quality of audible bass which is lacking in percussive feel is consistent from the MMGs through the MG 20s.
The obvious expalnation is that the phase cancellation of the open baffle design just dramatically reduces level and extension of the bass but I think this explanation is mistaken. Using a tone generator and my SPL meter, I get bass frequency responses on the various maggies which are in line with what Magnepan publishes for the frequency response of the various units, yet using conventional baffled cone drivers at the same 50 hz test tone, I get an entirely different bass feel--so the difference is not do to a simple difference in Sound Pressure level. As truely wonderful as any of the Maggies are in creating the illusion of "being there" when listening to accoustic music instaments, I think its this very quality of bass without feel and impact which makes the maggies so uninvolving with Rock music.

Anybody who is familiar with comparing Magnepan speakers with conventional box speaker will be familiar with the bass characteristic I am referring to. Do any of you have some thoughts on the source for this difference in bass qualities?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Perception of Maggie Bass response - Socrates 20:33:42 06/02/00 (20)

You can not post to an archived thread.