Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Speaker Separation Distance

With a wide speaker such as Maggies, isn't the relevant dimension the width of the tweeters from each other compared to the distance of the tweeters to the listener? This is especially critical considering there is a two to three foot difference in width just by changing from tweets in to tweets out, all else equal.

My experience is that the three series sounds best with the tweet-to-tweet distance somewhere around 78-85% of the tweet to ear distance. Again, it depends though, and I have found further apart (up to equilateral) works in some situations (especially if closer to the FW and bouncing a strongly reflected image). I have no experience with the 1.7 other than to say they are the best value for the money I have ever heard --phenomenal coherence!

Personally, I love the tone of Maggies with tweets out. I just wish it didn't put eighteen additional square feet of black monolith in the middle of my listening stage (compared to tweets in at the same geometry). Trade offs!

One other note, the 7 series is specifically designed to be played with the bass panels an inch or two closer to the listener than the tweeter. Wendell has confirmed this and it is readily apparent in the frequency response around the crossover area. This of course means the speaker will aim slightly ahead of the listener with tweets in and slightly behind tweets out. This leads to dramatically different amounts of optimal toe in, and the amount of toe in has dramatic differences on the bass and the sidewall reflections. More trade offs!

Other thoughts?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Speaker Separation Distance - Swamis Cat 11:47:36 02/15/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.