Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Midrange/tweeter line array project

This is not exactly what I had in mind but it is an interesting alternative. In this case, the side by side location of the Neo10 vs the mid/tweeter line would mean that you are back to a 4 way as the Neo10 would need a separate low pass and the Neo8PDR would need a high pass so that you don't have too large an overlap with the drivers placed horizontally at ear level. In this case, the crossover can be in the 1khz range and a 1st order can work.

The downside to this setup is that neither of the line arrays is quite as tall as you would like. If you want the extra extension of a line of Neo10 then you would want 6 of them per side and the mid/tweeter line would need an additional pair of Neo8PDR so that you don't get too much of a residual resonance peak and you have a sufficiently tall line source for that portion.

This arrangement you came up with will provide better lower mid impact and dynamics and allow you to cross over to the woofer section at 100hz. But you will lose a bit of coherence and breadth of the stereo field coverage by splitting the horizontal sources for the midrange in a separate line from those of the midbass Neo10. You also would have more drivers to buy (if you follow my suggestions to realizing your idea).

In the tapered driver array I suggested, you have a tall line source with the center at a tall ear level - and it would be a two way mid/tweeter section. Where it would lack in performance comparing with your idea is that you would have to retain a 150'ish hz crossover and not have quite as much lower mid slam. I still think that would be a better and cheaper alternative.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.