Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Speaker Separation Distance

I don't think the speaker's distance from each other and the distance to the central listening position is going to materially affect the off center imaging, since these positioning geometries can be compensated for with toe in adjustments. The change in the listening angle provides just a change in the size of the soundstage, given sufficient clearance from the walls. What these angles do not change substantially is the size of the sweet spot and the clarity and definition of images from the side seats.

The main effects on the off center imaging are had from tweeters out vs. in and toe in angles. The off center seat can have better imaging at the expense of image definition at the center. The drivers can only be optimally aligned for one listening seat since they are arrayed laterally, as opposed to a conventional speaker or single driver speaker where there is vertical driver alignment or no alignment issues with a single driver having reasonably good dispersion..In these latter cases the lateral change in seat position allows near optimal imaging to be retained at the side seats.

The best stereo coverage is to be had by a single line source driver covering 200hz-11khz and having good dispersion throughout that range, supplemented by a woofer and supertweeter. Even then, the side seats will not provide quite the ideal imaging as the center seat. Another option is having the tweeter kick in at around 1khz to cover most of the imaging related signal and having lesser sensitivity to lateral differences in driver offsets. The 3way 1.7 is not quite the perfect speaker for a wide stereo field.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.