Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Midrange/tweeter line array project

Well, there is something different you can do with this and use the VMPS RM40 and V60 as a guideline. The low frequencies are additive with the number of added drivers i a line but the higher frequencies do not add up significantly.
Neo10 drivers have rapidly falling dispersion past 2khz. so are not an easy match to a true ribbon tweeter even in a tall line array with multiple ribbon drivers. As they will sound rough and metalic when driven too low, even when FR plots show that you are well within their operation range. To make it happen you would need either a high slope high pass or DSP to cut off the ribbon fast enough so that it does not distort at high load.

Using the VMPS construct as a guide, I would suggest using a tapered driver line array: BBMMTMMBB, B=4 neo10 - 2 on top two at the bottom, then M=4 Neo8PDR - 2 below the top Neo10 and 2 above the bottom Neo10. T= one or two true ribbon drivers such as the Aurum Cantus. The ribbons would be crossed over to be supertweeters just above 10khz, The Neo8 and Neo10 would be fed the same signal. Try to run it where the composite driver midrange does not use a low pass filter and the supertweeter is put in with a first order high pass somewhere above its acoustic crossover - say 15khz.

There is very little discussion of this construction anywhere. If it were not for some very serious speakers that employ this geometry I would not have thought it practical to construct DIY. The tricky part is getting the driver offset of the ribbon supertweeter right. The "traditional" DIY ribbon line array tweeter as companion to a midrange line array is simply very expensive and most of the expensive ribbons are doing next to nothing while their max output can add up to the 125db range and more. Which you would never tolerate even for a transient burst.

BTW, someone I know uses Neo8 drivers for the EMIMs of his RS2B. He thinks they work marginally better than the originals.

This composite line array should allow you a midrange high pass around 150-200hz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.