Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: For MMG owners

I am glad to see that you will measure at SPL. With some care, it may help you chisel things into a great sounding system. And at a reasonable, even bargain costs. One piece of advice, whichever method you choose to measure your speakers with, keep it.

Don't go on changing methods if you want meaningful data across time. Note mic position, signal levels, noise, etc. Make changes "one at a time", mindful that planars react to everything around them. (For example, don't move the speakers and a sofa at the same time.)

It is the comparative measured changes across time that will tell you the most from measurements. Your own ears MUST lead, measuring will confirm the trends, as you make changes. REW and a calibrated mic (even cheap <$20 ones) can do the trick. Just stick to the discipline of measuring under the same method. I chose "listening position aimed at speakers" but as long as you control the noise environment, others will work.

I read some of what you linked to. The guy is on to something on at least two counts, not that anyone would care to know. Importantly, it seems that in spite of his measuring with a less-than-ideal method, he is sticking with it while using his ears well. Having walked along similar paths, in reading the flavor of what he says, I can correlate some of it.

That said, I'll do as always, what the hell! If you can go for line-level multiamping, most Maggies can deliver glory for peanuts.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: For MMG owners - JBen 23:31:39 02/12/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.