Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MMGs as a midwoofer, tweeter assembly.

I'd have to agree with Magnepan on this one. I've used the MMG's for home theater, and while they're wonderful speakers and of the great bargain in audio, but they really aren't home theater speakers -- they just don't like to play that loud. I've also gone to the opposite extreme and used Tympani 1-D's for home theater and they're the best home theater speaker I've ever used -- hell, I was working in motion picture audio at the time and they sounded better than what I heard in the mix room, because they combined high SPL's and good bass with the planar detail that adds so much to realism, and were pretty much indestructible to boot.

Of course I used my MMG's without subs and you can get more output from them with subs. Perhaps Davey will chime in -- he's paired his MMG's with built-in subs and can give you an idea of how much output he gets.

But my sense of your proposed system is that it's somewhat unbalanced, in that the GR OB subs are by reputation remarkable while the MMG is Magnepan's entry-level model. I think I'd be inclined to go with the 1.7's and add some good sealed subs, crossing them over lower, e.g., at 80 Hz. (The OB GR's will sound better but the sealed subs will go deeper and louder for I think a bit less, freeing up more money for the 1.7's.)

Also, I wouldn't be inclined to build the subs (whatever you use) into the speaker, because the best imaging and the best bass performance seldom happen in the same place, so it's advantageous to be able to position the subs independently.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: MMGs as a midwoofer, tweeter assembly. - josh358 20:14:29 02/07/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.