Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

MMGs as a midwoofer, tweeter assembly.

The following is a duplicate of a message I posted on the Audio Circle Planar group;

I am looking at building some main speakers for my HT system, which I also listen to music on. I currently switch between KEF 105.4s and B&W 802 Matrix S3s, depending on my mood.

My room is 15'x25'x8.5' untreated it sounds great with my existing speakers either 2 channel or 7.2. I can just get the front baffle 3' off the front wall and I can get 2-3 feet off the side walls.

My thought is to use as a base (bass) the Open Baffle dual 12" subwoofers available from GR-Research. The claim for this subsystem is 20-200Hz with authority.

The question then comes to what to use for 200-20,000hz. I currently have it narrowed(?) down to three choices;

Magnepan
GR-Research NX-Otica OB kit
Roll my own OB mid/tweet.

For the mid/tweet assembly, I was putting my max budget at $1,000, the cost of option 2. For Maggies that only leaves the MMG.

My post in this group is to get an opinion of using the MMGs to cover the mid-bass frequencies, with a crossover in the 100-200hz range.

My intention would be to build a mounting frame that would allow me to attach the MMG to the "top" of the OB woofer cabinet. The quotes around top, is because I could lay the cabinet horizontal which would make the height of the bottom of the MMG ~ 15" or vertical which would make the bottom of the MMG ~ 25" off the floor.

So the questions are;
Is an MMG up to the task? The folks on the GR-Research say that the NX-Otica would be substantially better. If the answer to this is no, then ignore the rest.
Should the MMG be modified, crossover wise?
What frequency should I cutoff the MMG on the low side? The lower the better, but no lower than 100hz
Would mounting it at a height of 15" off the floor or 25" be better?

I was ready to move forward with this plan until yesterday when I talked to Magnepan, and they told me that the MMG isn't worth using in this environment. They said I should use a .7 at a minimum and really I should scrap my idea and buy a 1.7.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - MMGs as a midwoofer, tweeter assembly. - aceinc 16:01:39 02/07/17 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.