Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Not for Me

I've never seen it as either/or. Both have their charms, and their annoyances. I've always ended up with Maggies because to me, they offer a good compromise between the unsurpassed clarity of electrostatics and the slam of dynamics. But someone who listened only at lower levels (or had room for Sound Labs) might prefer stats, while someone who listens mostly to pop at high levels might go for big dynamics or horns. Since nothing does everything well, it's going to be a question of personal fit.

And of course Maggies are pretty much unbeatable as far as price/performance ratio goes. I'm embarrassed by what I paid for my IVA's. Yeah, sure, the big megabucks Wilsons will raise the roof on your barn, but do they sound real? No comment.

Some of this too depends on configuration. No one makes my ideal stat that I would want, a full length line source with a delay like the ESL-63 for good dispersion. I like point source dipoles but they can't transport you like a line source. So you have all the compromises that Dr. Chaos mentioned -- bybrids or beamy/compromised dispersion or point source. Again, not ruling them out, but I believe that the relatively uniform dispersion of a line source planar adds to its realism. Boxes can't do this, it's physically impossible, and AFAIK only the ESL-63 manages it among stats -- even the big Sound Labs are going to have controlled dispersion further up and dipole dispersion further down, as well as the focusing effect in back (although room treatment can ameliorate this issue).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.