Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Not for Me

My main ESL exposure was to Quad 57s early on and Acoustat 2+2, both with subs. My main gripe is the lack of dynamics and absolute output and an associated ugliness to driver overload. They are amazing on detail and transients but short on power. The really big ones that do believable dynamics are so huge and expensive I could not imagine putting in the investment even if I could afford it. The big PK quads were reported by one of our forum members as solving this issue at a smaller footprint and at a lower cost than the largest full panel MLs and Soundlabs. So you get the ultimate detail without losing dynamic impact.

So my bottom line was that Maggies had more potential to provide "not quite" the same level of detail but have a much better dynamic envelope. Where there are limits to this performance in my speakers was with the mids. So I replaced them with a line of Neo8 and that increased coherence and made them sound a step closer to ESLs while increasing output and amp friendly sensitivity. While the results are not like Giant Klipschorns, they are quite capable of hitting the required dynamics.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Not for Me - Satie 10:54:47 02/03/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.