Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Not for Me

In the late 80's my cone system was sounding decent but I wanted a pair of Acoustat 2+2 badly. To me, they sounded the closest to the real musical instruments I lived amongst. I could not afford a new pair but just then one used set was offered for sale. The seller offered to let me try them while he went on a trip for two weeks.

Despite several shortcomings -- some caused by my available amps -- I was in love with those Acoustat 2+2. Wife gave permission...seller came back from trip...and changed his mind. Bummer, he decided not to sell. I understood...but almost cried.

By the time I was able to afford a new pair, I was travelling too much, mostly internationally for work. No time. Also, LP had yielded ground to the CD...not pretty.

In my travels, I did listen to several Acoustat models with far better gear than I had had the first time around. They never failed to charm me but I also began to define the things that I did not like.

In the end, the same happened with almost all stats in general. The ONE thing that kept me away from buying stats was MY inability to spend countless hours on end listening to them. Quads do get in the ballpark. But by and large, most Maggies allow me to keep listening for several hours. My own, tweaked to my liking, often posses me for tens of hours in a row.

I suspect that Magnepan's hardheadedness -- no cone drivers -- forced them to choose a good set of attributes vs compromises...which works for me most of the time. Oh, but I am such a critic of them! Well, that's until they grab me by the ears.

Of course, the stats keep charming me grandly. Fortunately, I kept telling other people how great the stats are. Some of them bought them. So, I visit them when I need a delightful shot of stats!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Not for Me - JBen 23:35:46 02/02/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.