Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Martin Logan Summit X in a big semi-circular room

I'm hoping there may be ML experts here who could guide me. I have an acoustically very difficult room and the speakers I'm using just don't sound as good here as in my earlier more conventional listening room. I'm thinking of ML Summit X speakers to replace my Avantgarde Uno horns.

Here's the problem. The room is nearly 1000 sq ft with low a 7'8" ceiling and 30% carpeting over timber flooring. It's roughly semi-circular (actually more parabolic / pointed end of an egg shape) with most of the curved wall being floor-to-ceiling glass. The speakers are in the middle of the room, either side of a central column and facing to one side, so there's nothing behind them for 15 feet or so. I hope you're following this! See the ultra-wide photo.

I don't want to fill the room with room treatment junk - it would spoil a very lovely room!

So the question is - are planar speakers likely to be happy in this room, or should I look for conventional box speakers such as Revel Studio 2? If so, would Summit X be a good choice? I listen mainly to jazz, female voice, etc at robust but not normally window-shaking volume - occasionally orchestral music too. I love the crystal clarity and detail of the Avantgarde horn speakers but they are not preforming here as well I know they can. I have a good selection of amplifiers - GamuT D200 Mk III, Accuphase A-36 A class, Consonance Cyber 845 SET - to choose from. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edits: 01/27/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Martin Logan Summit X in a big semi-circular room - cawson@onetel.com 12:33:35 01/27/17 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.