Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Marchand XM44 in hibernation ...

Obviously you have been doing your homework. The values I gave you are almost identical to the OEM - the 4th order LP is not quite a true L-R filter having a Q of 0.51 rather 0.50. This is really trivial but I can send you the values to get a 0.51 Q if you are that pedantic :).
Magnepan spends some time developing the crossover design and IMO someone would be hard to come up with a better design and that is why I stick as close as I can to the OEM.
From your research you can see there is a considerable variation as to what people think is better and this may have to do with their rooms and ears.
One comment of interest was " 280hz 24dB/oct LP, 200hz 6dB/oct HP: Hmm, even though this looked close to the curves shown in Davey's response model, this didn't sound right at all. For some reason, putting the woofer and midrange panel in phase here helped some." I find this of interest because swapping the polarity of 1st order filter makes absolutely no difference - the absolute phase difference remains the same and I defy anyone, even those who claim to hear absolute phase, to tell the difference.
The point being that a lot of this subjective and what you need to do is find what you like and then just listen to the music and forget about the system.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 01/24/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.