Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Marchand XM44 in hibernation ...

Took me a while; but here is the thread info I read several years ago. Based on Nils advice I went with the symmetrical 280 and have liked it. Perhaps I will order a few more modules and play around with them as my room has changed, along with a few other goodies.

Posted by Neuro (A) on April 9, 2008 at 19:52:15

I have a biamp setup, and I've been playing with crossover slopes and points for quite some time now. I thought I'd share my observations with fellow Magnepan 3.6 owners.

- 250hz 18dB/oct LP, 200hz 6dB/oct HP (stock recommendation): What was Magnepan thinking? My only guess is that a dyslexic wrote the manual and they really meant 250hz HP and 200hz LP. The overlap results in a "wooly" sound. I'm all for warmth, but I was never happy with the resulting sound. Also, phase coherency really suffered.

- 280hz 24dB/oct LP, 200hz 6dB/oct HP: Hmm, even though this looked close to the curves shown in Davey's response model, this didn't sound right at all. For some reason, putting the woofer and midrange panel in phase here helped some.

- 190hz 24dB/oct LP, 190hz 24dB/oct HP (recommended by Andyr): Now we're getting somewhere! Remember, if you're using a symmetrical fourth order slope, the drivers have to be in phase. Bass and midrange in phase, with tweeter out of phase was better for me. I really loved the sound at first--very clean, very coherent, the soundstage seemed very full without any holes. After time, however, I noticed the signature of each driver.

- 190hz 24dB/oct LP, 200hz 6dB/oct HP: After using this, it seems that the first-order high pass is key to the drivers blending well. There's definitely a gap in the low-midrange though. I used this to tide me over until I got...

- 180hz 18dB/oct LP, 200hz 6dB/oct HP (recommended by Andyr): This seems very tonally balanced, maybe a touch warm in the midrange, but NOTHING like the stock recommendation. Detail is excellent.

Conclusions so far:

I might stick with the last configuration above. After hearing the symmetrical slopes, I do find the asymmetrical crossover's soundstage to be not as solid as it could be. It would be nice to see what a triamped, fully in phase setup would sound like. Alas, that's out of my price range at the moment.

-- Nils

Posted by Neuro (A) on August 10, 2008 at 21:05:48

In Reply to: Observations on crossover point experimentation (MG3.6) posted by Neuro on April 9, 2008 at 19:52:15:

Phil Marchand was kind enough to set me up with a 280hz HP to match the 280hz LP. I never tried it until about a week ago. Needless to say, I am VERY happy!

- 280hz 24dB/oct LP, 280hz 24dB/oct HP: The anemic, lean sound of the 190hz crossover point is gone. Coherency through the crossover point is seamless. Also, I'm hearing lots of detail in recordings I've listened to dozens of times. Timbre is so improved that I wonder how I put up with it before. :) :)

It seems that the bass panel is essential in the ~200-400hz range (which is one reason that the 180hz third-order low-pass works, and is possibly the reason that Magnepan recommends a 250hz 3rd order LP).

When I go 3-way active, I'm going to try 240hz LR4 as well, just for fun. I'll get to experiment all over (but at least I'll be going with LR4 for the other crossover as well).

-- Nils

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.