Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: miss the Telarc Organ Symphony

I don't have that kind of heads on comparison to rely on. The closest I did on comparison was with the mg20.1 + big Chords vs. Big Boulder. and on the Apogee Diva - Big Krell KSA vs. Classe monos VTL Wotan or Siegfried tubes and a couple of others.

The comparables are just that class A high power gives you a more tuneful tighter bass with subjectively deeper extension. It also heats the room very quickly. Even a large room. Tubes don't damp the membranes well enough and lose on tightness, making the bass sound a bit bulbous or elephantine. The class A/AB like the Classe was nearly as tight as the class A Krells but apparently started sagging. Some say the KSA bass is not natural. Compared to the rest of the things put on the Diva bass - or whole speaker, the Krell bass was most convincing.

What I get at home with the Crown is tight deep bass and extension similar to the Krell (and boulder)- but it is not quite as tuneful as the Krell with the caveat that the Krell can sound single note on occasion when playing hard. I think it is the high damping power - I am thinking that the back emf is about the same scale as the driving voltage since the diaphragm is so stiff. So 1000 damping factor is more useful for the bass panels than it would normally be. The Crown 5000 are about 70 lb and have little bias current. Trying to equate class A to an equivalent effective power on an AB amp driving a panel I think you have roughly a 2:1 ratio so at 8 ohms a 500W class A would be equivalent to a 1kw AB in bass panel performance. Which is roughly where the Crown 5002 stands. And the Apogee/Krell bass is close to what I get with the Tympani/Crown.

If you remember the JGH review of the KLH9 then his response to having the mids and bass come off the panel rather than go to a box woofer describes well what the panels sound like when driven by an ample amp vs. one that sags.

I would suggest that you should expect to match the power supply rating of the A51 to that of the particular Crown model you are considering and remember that you can bridge the crown for 4 ohms and that on the 3600 you can do a regular bridge and there is a parallel bridge option for 1 ohm if you ever need that.

You are probably ok with the 2400/2402, if not in stereo then bridged mono, and if you want to have extra power then the 3600/3602.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.