Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Going active on Tympani 1Ds

Sorry a little slow to get back to you. It looks from the other posts that you are going in the right direction. As far as the crossover @ 1100 Hz, that is between the woofer and mid, not woofer and tweeter. So I believe the crossover points should be 1100hz and ~3000 hz.The mid-bass crossover is 1st order (6 db) and probably symmetric but most of the models with ribbon tweeters use asymmetric 2nd order filters (mid LP and tweeter HP) around 3000 hz.
Certainly a symmetric 6db filter at 3000 would be easiest to implement, but you might want to use the T-IVa values (mid LP 2050, tweeter HP 2650 both 2nd order) which will cross at ~3000 hz.
Just to add to the confusion, the above 2nd order filters have "atypical" Q values of 0.65 (mid LP) and 0.60 (tweeter HP) rather than standard Butterworth (0.71) or Besel (0.58) and this will affect the crossover value. You may be able to dial these in on your mini-DSP but, if not, go with the Bessel.
And finally, watch your polarity. If you go 1st order it really doesn't matter but if you use 2nd order then one of the drivers needs to be inverted.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 01/17/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Going active on Tympani 1Ds - neolith 13:04:01 01/17/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.