Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Going active on Tympani 1Ds

If you are sticking with 24db slopes then I would say you might as well use the protection they provide to lower the crossover point for bass-mid to 500hz and the tweeter can play down to 4khz. Even with LR4 slopes I found the tweeter to be overdriven below 4khz where is got metallic sounding long before you reach really high output. I ended up with 5 khz as my choice for tweeter XO in the LR4 setup.

I found that you can do much better in imaging by using 1st order slopes in context of an equidistant arc arrangement of the speaker drivers using PLLXO. But the tweeter had to be high passed at 8khz in order to stay alive at highish output - with the classic symmetrical 1st order you get a slight head in a vice problem at such a high freq. If I restricted output levels a bit then the tweeter XO could go down to 6khz. Ultimately, the Neo8 just did better than the ribbons on high output up to above 10khz as they did not distort at whatever high volume I threw at them. Ultimately I left the midrange with no low pass so it plays as high as it can and rolls off acoustically, then I kicked in the tweeter so it takes over acoustically at about 14khz. This solved two things - the tweeter distortion at high volumes and the head in a vice problem when using a symmetrical XO above 6khz. Both arrangements give amazing imaging.

I found that imaging is damaged quite a bit by introducing a AD DA cycle - I tried an audiophile 24/48 and a pro audio 24/96 so I am skeptical about how well one can do with a DSP. On the other hand AndyR is very happy with his miniDSP based setup with analog sources.

For the bass - mid I would suggest you stick with the OEM spec at 1khz 1st order with delay compensation for the low pass depending on the differential driver offsets. You can try to lower the XO incrementally but since you already moved to foil on the bass panels I am not sure the gain in speed and PP drive is enough to justify the risk of straining the T 1D tweeter at the 500-1khz range.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.