Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Going active on Tympani 1Ds

Neolith,

Thanks for your reply.

Okay I'll answer as best as possible.

Firstly, yes the tympanis sound very good at the bottom end. I've heard a pair of 20.7's and they dont come close to what the 1D's do in that range imo which is to confirm what you have said.

However I have put in a pair of Dayton Audio Reference HO 12 inche subs in mono in the 20-80Hz range and I am sorry but there is no competition there.

So the objective here is to bring in the maggies in from the point onwards.

This is not set in stone as I am going to tinker with cutting the subs off anywhere from 50Hz or even lower to see what the result is.

Dont forget from previous thread that my ID bass panels are like no other in the sense that I did not have them rewired but utilised QR for this. Its the same QR that is used in the 1.7i/20.7i mids. These sound outstanding compared to the intrinsic setup.

You have me absolutely confused about the XO points for the bass panels.

There are 2 bass panels side by side. I believe they start off at 40Hz and are cut off at 1100 at which point the tweeter panel kicks and covers the entire spectrum from 1100 all the way through to 20,000. Is that your understanding as well.

The physical configuration of these panels is that they work as one. There are only 2 leads - one going in and the other one coming out as these panels have been linked in series. Just bear that in mind. When the panels were redone in QR it changed the impedance so EACH bass panel was 4.2 ohms so I had to either link them in series or parallel. Clearly for logistical purposes I went series.

The repairer who did this altered the capacitors and choke on the system to reflect the change in resistance.

So if I read correctly what you are saying how can one bass panel be HP 400Hz? As I said there is a single signal going in at one end feeding the panels which are bridged together to return on the way out. This means that they are working as one unit????

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.