Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Quads and Cat

Thanks Satie. The table I picked is the TechDas 3 with the Graham Phantom Elite arm. From what I've heard from reliable sources the TechDas folks did a pretty good job of engineering a lot of the features from the crazy expensive TechDas 1 into the 3 and at half the price. Plus there is the point of diminishing returns where I felt an extra $50K for the difference just wasn't worth it to me.

I also figured that if I went for the best cartridge match possible and obsessed over setup, then the difference in tables would be even less. Then I read that some people who really know the TechDas tables believe that none of the 3 tables they make is any better, just different, and the 3 is supposedly a little "faster" in digging information out of the grooves (whatever that means???). Faster seems like a good quality for the type of sound and listening I enjoy. If more speed equals more detail then with Planars and/or hopefully the Giya's, the TechDas 3 should be a good choice. Guess I'll find out!!! When I heard the TechDas3 with the Graham arm and a top of the line van den Hul cartridge at Axpona with the Cat JL7's and Marten Coltrane 3's the sound was absolutely stunning. There was a wooden flute on a record that produced one of the most amazing sounds I've heard; ton's of air and texture and completely compelling in its delivery. It still haunts my memory to think about it.

Plus I liked the feature on the 3 of having multiple arms and will probably add at least a mono cartridge in a separate arm. There's something about the sound and textures of those 50's mono recordings that's just wonderful and I'd really like to buy a lot more mono recordings and explore that whole world. And of course to me, the TechDas 3 just looked really cool, being sort of a shallow person who cares about appearances...... Not that the 1 and 2 don't; they look pretty stunning as well.

I'd really like to read your post mentioned above and will send a PM a little later. Thanks and Happy New Year everybody!

Edits: 12/31/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.