Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Outdated BG Radia thread over AC for Satie

I have not gone through the discussion about his designs with the Neo3 on his and the DIY forums. But in that context I did have a bit of a disagreement with Davey over using the Neo3 with the back cup (which he liked) or as dipoles (which I liked) The difference being the early onset of distortion on the tweeter without the back cup. The cavity resonance with the back cup is suppressed so much that the driver can - from a FR and THD perspective - be used two octaves lower. Thus could be mated with Neo10s or dynamic drivers at 2-3khz on single driver or down to 1khz in a tall line array - which makes for an even easier mating with the Neo10, as its dispersion falls off rapidly at just below 2khz. Which is where I came from into the discussion - as I was wanting to be rid of the air spring and its transient smear even if it meant that the tweeter would lose an effective 2 octaves of its output and get lots of hair on its apparent FR in near field measurements.

Richies' older designs - think the LS9 - are either monopole air spring or monopole bass and dipole Neo8PDR. The new ones are more thought out, less brute force and have him adopting dipoles for mids and bass (his H frame dipole subs with EQ) . I have not ferreted out what he does with the tweeters exactly as the drivers were unobtanium for a long time during his design of the current flagship speakers. Maybe something to look at in the near future. Just need to look it up.

I didn't go into the specifics of the IRS radiation pattern just noted that it was bipolar facing front and back but not dipole - didn't actually check if it was cardioid or something else - just noted that it was not wired to be a dipole.Which Nudel continues to do with his boxes today. always at least one tweeter facing back and the mids always dipoles with sealed box woofers.

Interesting experiments with rooze type and other orientations of dipoles by B&O on the way to designing the Beolab 90. see pic

Edits: 12/29/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.