Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Magnepan 2.7/QR image / focus issue

I have a pair of Magnepan MG2.7/QR speakers. I am the original owner and purchased the speakers around 1998. I have made no modifications or upgrades to the speakers. My listening level is low to mid volume. I have never had a fuse blow in either speaker or any amp used to drive the speakers.
My issue is my 2.7 speakers do not image as well as they used to or as I remember them. When I swap in my pair of MMG's the speakers are spot on in their focus and deep soundstage imaging but missing the deeper bass and presence of the larger speakers. This listening test is immediate and I had a second pair of young ears agree with the results.
I moved a short while ago and this is the second home that I have compared the MG2.7's to the MMG's with the exact same listening results. I do not hear any buzzing or slap from the 2.7's. When I pull the fuses I can hear the tweeter and midrange drop out and when I replace the fuse the mids and highs return so my belief that all drivers are producing some level of sound. Does not appear to be a left or right speaker issue as the overall sound quality is the same from both speakers. Any suggestions welcome thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Magnepan 2.7/QR image / focus issue - gmack 17:25:03 12/17/16 (22)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.