Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Amps for Maggies. Tube vs SS (I've searched)

Dear planar pals:
Please don't throw stones. I realize this topic has been addressed before, but I'm considering selling my MMG's and purchasing a pair of .7's and would love some input from this community.

I have a pair of very fine MFA mono tube amps with which I've powered the MMG's, and I also have a NAD C272 which is a pretty gutsy ss amp. I prefer the refinement of the tube mono amps but the low frequency response of the MMG's is better when powered by the NAD. My preamp is a highly modified and wonderful MFA Luminescence employing many octal tubes. This piece is definitely a keeper.

There is no contest when powering my other speakers, a pair of Sonus Faber monitors- the MFA tube amps are far superior.

I'm willing to replace the NAD with something better- perhaps an Odyssey or Bryston, or Parasound Halo amp. But before I do that, can any of you had great success powering your Maggies with all tubes?

Thanks very much for your responses.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Amps for Maggies. Tube vs SS (I've searched) - paul3 17:49:21 10/17/16 (53)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.