Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: In no way am I recommending...

Brian Ding of Rythmik (and many others) have explained why a larger woofer cone being automatically "slower" than a smaller one by reason of it's diameter is a myth. Brian (and his partner Danny Richie at GR Research) offer 8", 12" and 15" woofers in various model subs. The difference between the models is in the nature of maximum SPL at a given distortion level, and the lowest frequencies possible to reach at a given SPL, not their "speed". The "speed" (actually a misnomer---Rythmik subs just sound fast! Their clean sound is achieved by means of the Direct Servo Feedback control of their excellent woofers) of the Rythmik subs is audible in all three sized woofer models. Brian is currently finalizing the design of a ported sub with an 18" woofer, slated to be introduced later in the year. Though ported and using an 18" woofer, it too should sound as "fast" as the other Rythmiks.

The Rythmik Direct Servo Feedback controls not only the starting and stopping of the woofer's cone (the electrical nature and motors---magnets---of all cone drivers is responsible for that), but also takes into consideration the temperature of the driver's voice coil as it heats up with use. That temperature affects the electrical characteristics of the woofer, and is constantly changing. The DRF also interacts with the woofer in other ways (you can read Mr. Ding's Patent application for specifics if you wish) to keep it's output linear. Rythmiks are not the only good subs out there, but the OP asked specifically about opinions on Rythmik, and that's what I'm giving him!

Edits: 10/05/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.