Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Not a typical experience

The 1.7 is a very popular speaker second only to the MMG, itself likely to be the most popular audiophile speaker.

There have been a handful of reports of manufacturer defects and Magnepan does well on repairs, shipping costs can be reduced by using Magnepan's shipping co. at their favoredd rate. But it will still cost some.

In sunny coastal regions humidity salt air and sun exposure used to shorten the life of maggies with the old adhesives from 20-30 years to 15-20 years. My T-IVs were 23 years old when I got them and had already gone through a repair, but they came from the San Francisco Bay area and were stored under less friendly conditions for a time. A year. later the midranges gave out, there was a little delamination and a large amount of corrosion, the bass panels lasted another 5 years. It died at age 30.

Reports of early failure are related to overdriving the speakers and associated with multiple cases of blown fuses. Usually this is by an undersized amp driven into clipping. But there was one case where the MG20.7 speakers were just driven too hard - well beyond what they were designed for and had to be modified to stop the problem from repeating. In this one case the speakers were in a large space and driven to extremely loud levels.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Not a typical experience - Satie 20:54:43 10/03/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.