Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

My experiences with multiple budget base subs

When I've done recomenntations and real for $$ set ups and installs, you can only do so much with room compensation - especially with a single sub. Add a second sub and you lose (Smooth) 1/2 to 3/4 the modes in the room AND it works for a range of listening positions - extra bonus!

Low end double subs: Yamaha YST-SW216BL or Polk Audio PSW505 (A great buy on Amazon now) at <$300 and $400 pair would do very well againsy any single $1000 Sub. Heck you could get 4 of the Polks now for less than a grand!

I've also found that mixing different kinds of subs works very well also - though i feel that optimizing the subs positions and settings are easiest optimize if the subs have a continuous phase adjust and is is easiest if you have a good sound analyzer.

In one neighbor's HT setup I added the Yamaha to a Klipsch HT system sub and got over 100dB @ 30 Hz in the three sofa listening positions and flat +/- 3dB to 100Hz in 1/3 octaves with NO EQ at all... Standard rectangular room with a centered front and just to the right of sofa rear wall locations. With only the front sub there was a very boomy 48Hz 8dB peak.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.