Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

1.7s in for repair @ 2.5 years--typical?

Hello all, I've been lurking here (off and on) for abouy 6 years. Based largely on what I've read here, I invested in MMGs and later 1.7s, driven by Emotiva amps (I have a surround system, with MMG-Ws and center driven by an XPA-3 and the 1.7s by an XPA-2, both 1st generation).

Four or five weeks ago we detected a rattle/vibration sort of sound in one and shipped it off to Minnesota for a warranty-covered repair. I had my MMGs for over 3 years with zero problems, so this bugs me. Shipping one way alone ran me almost $200, so I'm wondering if I'd been better off with a more conventional speaker. I have a pair of B&W speakers that are over 25 years old which I've had them for about 18 or 19 years with no problems. The still run beautifully.

Is my Maggie experience typical? I don't want be shipping these off every 2 or 3 years. I haven't particularly pushed them, and in fact have played them minimally this summer (too much noise in the house).

I'm disappointed and could use some honest feedback.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - 1.7s in for repair @ 2.5 years--typical? - Dibblestein 19:55:48 10/02/16 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.