Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: personally I'd consider 20.1s

The Statements are rated 150WPC but 16 kt120s should giver you 450WPC triode given a big enough trannie. The expense is not commensurate with the improvement available from biamping. So looking at the 20.1 as the base case, you can probably get a 20.1 and biamp it with your existing amplifiers - any would do as the subs take off the deep bass, and if you need extra boom power because you want to take out your subs then you can get a KW SS power amp to do the high current heavy lifting. The 20.1 is an over all improvement on the 3.7 in the same way that the 20.7 is. Relative to the 20.7 you are missing the low order series crossover and the better integration/coherence.
But to retain that in single amp mode will cost you much more in amplification than the speaker itself. Then you would lose on trading the speakers if you modify them for biamping. So the cost differential in doing the 20.7 single amp vs. 20.1 is probably in excess of $20k. In trading the 3.7 for a 20.1 you might end up with nearly no cost but for the active crossover - I suggest a First Watt B4 and later have it modified with better parts and a bigger power supply if you think it would be your weakest link..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.