Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE:Viewing adjusting the Stereo content of a signal when mastering

Does the dynamic editing produce the same kind of pumping artifacts the DBX units did?

The problem I have with the digital image steering or soundstage editing is that localization is largely a matter of transients on the order of 10s of microsecs (not millisec) and requires some resolution into the single microsec range to preserve. We localize these to within 0.5 degrees while we localize sine waves only to 5-15 degrees in the lateral arc. Those can be represented effectively at 24/96 with some loss of info. and more completely with 24/192. But only DSD and double DSD really capture the short transients entirely.

My experience is that imaging off LP retains all this short transient info so images and the soundstage differ widely from one recording to the next of the standard orchestral layout in different recording spaces, while they image in a rather tight range on CD and vary in only a relatively small way from one recording to the next. The LP and CD versions of the same orchestral recording also don't image in the same locations with the LP generally preserving more depth and lateral placement variance among instruments. Though I have only few recs to compare, since recordings that are duplicated on both CD and LP as I generally try to avoid duplication in my collection.

How would you address that in using the software? The equivalent rate for capturing the short transients with some resolution in PCM is double DXD..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.