Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Another as good as it gets speaker and proper electronics.

Sounds like we're both coming from a similar experience -- I had a pair of I-D's for years. Then I moved and didn't have a large enough room for them, so I lent them to a friend. And I couldn't fit them here either but I figured I could use the IVA's in split configuration.

I've always loved the Tympanis because they seem to me a great compromise between the superior clarity of electrostatics and the superior bass and dynamics of dynamic speakers, and because like other Maggies they have an overall musicality that I find lacking in many speakers.

The LFT-8b mids might be a good match, I'll be curious to hear how it turns out. Not so sure about the Quad 57 just because of the difference in radiation pattern, but I'll be curious to hear. Someone here has combined the Tympani woofers with Martin Logans (and a rotary woofer!). I think if I were doing a hybrid system (which I'd love to do in another life). I think I'd try mating them with the Acoustats, since they're another line source (I was just reading an interesting thread on the Planar Circle by a former Acoustat dealer who said that the DD servo amps sound much cleaner than the transformers).

Meanwhile, though, I understand that the Neo 8's are just short of electrostatics. I'm going to have to lay in some new amps before I try mine, though.

meanwhile, I'm wondering what would happen if I filled the gap between the Tympani woofers and the ceiling . . . mine is only 7' high . . . and I'm losing some deep bass because a radiator prevents me from putting the woofers against the wall.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.