Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Another as good as it gets speaker and proper electronics.

Your listening arrangement would be a lot like mine -- speakers 5' out from the front wall, sitting close to the rear wall. You may have better results with split configuration. I had planned on it from the start, but I tried them first in the in-line setup and it just didn't work in my room. Not enough image width, and in the small room the speakers blocked too much of the backwave. I had them on the narrow wall, though, only 12', so you may do better.

If you have them touching the side wall, you're going to get some pretty fierce bass! But the DSPeaker should tame it, along with the midbass boost you get from using Tympanis in a small room.

The way I have them in the room now, the M-T panels are 5' off the front wall and the woofers about 3'. That puts me about 6' from the M-T panels. (The room is a lot more functional with the M-T panels only 4' from the front wall, but when I pull them out to 5' they develop amazing depth. I'm hoping the diffusers will let me put the M-T panels closer to the wall.)

But wow, that Tympani midbass -- by chance, I was listening to a recording of Idomeno, and the tympani (lower case) just knocked my socks off. That combination of clean, natural planar bass and near-dynamic slam is just amazing. All thoughts of how crazy I was to put a pair of Tympanis in a room that's better suited to Mini Maggies evaporated the moment I heard it. And overall tonality is just amazing. I have a stack of Neo 8's for the midrange, but they're sounding so good now I'd be delighted to live with them as is forever.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.