Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: New high power amp. Let the stoning begin :)

I'm not surprised at all by your findings. High-power amps, IMO, bring out the best of Maggies when you want transients, dynamics, and control at higher listening levels.

I also had a McCormack DNA amplifier on hand for a month or so. This was the DNA-500. It drove my 2.5s effortlessly- no strain, no compression. It was like a Mercedes engine being asked to go faster and faster: it said OK, I can do that for you. The DNA-500 was harmonically quite rich and had a wonderful tone, and had all that "airiness" audiophiles approve of. The only reason I didn't go ahead and make it my own was, due it's quite low input impedance of 10 KOhms, the bass rolled off a bit too early in my system. It was much easier for me to look for another amp (for which a contender was waiting in the wings) then to borrow/trial other preamps.

Like Satie, I also tried a Crown XLS1500 and my impressions were similar. It just lacked slam; a bit too lean in the bass. It was clean and transparent enough though. They do an admirable job on subwoofer duty to me - quick, tactile bass from the two 8" isobaric drivers.

The amp that was in the wings eventually became a permanent component of the system is the MC2 Audio MC750, a pro amp from the UK. Well-balanced tonality, ample power and headroom; it simply presents all the music to you.

Keep on enjoying your BGW and don't let anyone rain on your parade!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.