Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Biamping for maggie 20.1 with two macs vs bridged amps

That is entirely correct. However, you should have the top amp loafing in its best performance where you will find more clarity than you imagined possible. While the bass amp will be often driven to the end of its tether and will be producing some distortion - but the bass panels produce quite a bit of it themselves at the bottom octave - 25-30% at high volume 30-40 hz has been measured. So you don't really care about the bass amp being stretched. The main downside is that it might sag on very low freq loud material and provide woolly bass. in which case you can easily flip the extra Mac for a higher output bass amp - where you don't care about its refinement in the midrange etc..The large Emotiva, XPA and quite a few Pro Audio and Audiophile high power pieces can fill the slot. I use a fan cooled linear Crown 5002VZ for my bass panels. I have clipped everything else including a parallel strapped Classe DR 9 (rated 400W but measured 600), Bryston 4B NRB bridged and stereo.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Biamping for maggie 20.1 with two macs vs bridged amps - Satie 21:10:40 09/05/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.