Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Ping QUAD FRED/63 owners, help with DIY stand height / height of centre?

Quad ESL-63s ideal height.

The 63s acoustical center is the exact center of the grilles. That is where the center of the concentric circles, fed by delay lines, is located. That point , ideally, ought to be at ear level. You can achieve that either by tilting the speakers, so that a line at right angles from the center to your seated ear location is achieved OR by lifting the speaker so that its acoustical center is at seated ear height (assuming the speaker is upright not tilted.)

Quad's "stand and deliver" stands, which I always used and believe to be most attractive, are too low to achieve this unless the speakers are tilted slightly upward in front.

I once had a set of Gradient's SW-63 bass units (these are not, strictly speaking, "subwoofers"). They lifted the Quads to the perfect height for my listening position--center of Quad at ear height, and brought good focus to the sound images.

Another alternative are the Arcici stands. These two metal contraptions go on either side of the Quads and clamp to their frames. These get the height correct, but I would never use them because they could potentially damage the speakers. How? Well, these stands are not attached to each other. If one stand is stable and someone fell into, kicked or moved the other one, they could twist in such a way as to torque the Quad's fragile frame and damage or break it. I also object to bolting frames to the front of the speakers, damaging the grilles.

I'd suggest just putting the Quads on a stack of suitable material to allow you to experiment with what height works best for you, so you can assess the sonic benefits of various locations, then go for a more permanent solution.

Great speakers!

Enjoy your music,

George Rolannd

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ping QUAD FRED/63 owners, help with DIY stand height / height of centre? - George S. Roland 09:23:36 09/03/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.