Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Don't give up on maggie midbass..

Nice options you have:) That's exactly what I was thinking. However I have some doubts and still scratching my head. Martin Logan switched to similar design to their subs recently instead of also kinda canceling tri-drivers approach. Bipolar/cancelling design is very nice idea. I tried B&W sub PV1D with 8" opposing drivers with Maggies but left unimpressed by tiny, yet dominating… not so blending… bass signature. Yes fast and tight and on the paper should match Maggie but…. Don't know how to explain… If you can go to local dealer or nearest tradeshow.. Or friends. Try to compare near best implementation of two technologies---sealed vs ported. Perfect case Magico vs Wilson...Magico while being fast and detailed have that sort of sealed bass notes that leave me personally almost ill with impression of being hit by giant ogr's fist into my stomach/diaphragm dreaming of free air breath. Wilson is opposite.. Bass tuning is perfect and free…(unless you play some Stockfish label samples with tube amp-- it will be distorted) so you don't see the speakers it is percfect cliche phrase of disappearing act.
So I think that superbly implemented ported design is more suitable to my liking. What Kef did is exactly what I was thinking about. Combining two opposing anti- vibration woofers with free breathing port. Actually they even did more…instead of competing with wilson on composite resin material-- super dumping heavy and expensive they did cheaper lighter version but they added some nice stuff as dumping carbon absorbing particles to deal with vibration and resonance.Four light and fast midrange/woofers provide speed and grip while doubling add needed bass and no distortion---NICE. The only thing stopping me from trying it now is cost of total 8 drivers only for trying/pilot project. Going into Wilson approach is cheaper.. Only one 10" driver like Scanspeak.. Ah don't know… a lot of thinking… Personally if not that crazy price increase steps like Wilson Maxx2-50k---Maxx3-75--Alexx(Maxx4)--109k that makes me sick I would go for second hand at half the price but again wonderfully sounding Alexia is around 30k used. Jesus why there is no competition at all??????? Returning to 5k Maggie 3.7 is a relief but again that bass!!!!!! ¡!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.