Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Don't give up on maggie midbass..

Thanks for suggestion. Don't know why but i was not impressed with 20.7 sound plus being a tube guy I don't want to maintain some 16 tubes in each monoblock to drive them....No,no bracing and not about overall output in recreating Jazz club atmosphere. I was frustrated more about eternal question of truthful reproduction. Try for example for curiosity sake to play some overcooked recordings like Chris Jones/Moonstruck/track#3.Ain't got love. or Sara.K/Water falls/Track#8.All your love. on the same Stockfish records. It is like a demo file and showcase for Maggies, making you believe that no bass reinforcement is needed at all. Switching however to normal recording like Patricia Barber/Verse/track#2.Lost In This Love... will reveal all shortcomings. Kind of torture test. Listen to that track on Maggie and then on good dynamic speakers or simple A-B'ing via something like sennheiser hd650 or similar.That comparison leaves me very frustrated.
Or maybe I will give Maggie a second chance due to some crazy experiment I had a few weeks ago. I cheated on Maggie by bringing home two dynamic speakers for comparison- Kef Blade2 and Wilson Sophia3. While I spent most of the weekend comparing between Blade and Sophia in the end I made interesting test. Wilson can not be biamped but Blade fortunately yes,so I played bass section (6.5" 2x2 per speaker.Two separate enclosures combining dual opposing cancelling woofers with port)of blade with Maggies. It was not bad at all thou not perfect since I was unprepared for fine tuning with that type of test but it gave me a lot of food for thought for combining woofer/s instead of subs.Sure nobody will buy blade2 as woofer for Maggie but probably building enclosure using good driver would be satisfying in the end.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.