Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 800 W/ch for maggie 20.1

Great deal; although I suspect the improvement is more along the lines of the Macs having more 'current' than wattage!

A couple of months ago I purchased a pair of Ghent audio Ice module mono block amps 500w(4 ohm), or 250w(8 ohm), via Balanced XLR & RCA inputs to ride the mid and tweeters on my MG20s. These replaced a pair of Emotiva UPA-1 (350w ea) which replaced a pair of VTL 100 tube monoblocks (100w).

The Ices sounded quite sweet during moderate volume but couldn't keep up with the supply and demand aspect during difficult musical passages at a much higher volume. This resulted in clipping; something I haven't heard in a while. Now I can't speak on other more complex Ice Modules on the market but these particular mods couldn't keep up. I removed them and placed the UPA-1s back in. I like to call the Emotiva's the "poor man's Krell" mainly because well, I'm poor, and due to their high current output and their ability to easily handle both the top and bottom (the bottoms are ran off a pair of XPAs which at times can have too much bass).

pic

Ghent audio

Edits: 08/28/16 08/28/16 08/28/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 800 W/ch for maggie 20.1 - Green Lantern 08:13:43 08/28/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.