Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

800 W/ch for maggie 20.1

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a long time. I just managed to talk myself into an investment that I have been considering for a long time and want to share the results. I already had a single McIntosh MC402 running my Maggie 20.1's. I had gotten to this stage a few years ago while living in my old house. The old house had a large living area, but was a difficult space to get the best out of my Maggies. The new house I bought about 2 years ago had a much improved area for setting up my Maggies and the sound improved. The new space is large and in a loft area with a huge back area for the speakers to broadcast into. I notice an immediate improvement. I also did some other minor improvements such as removing the jumper pins and installing some wire jumpers in their place and also rolled the tubes in my McIntosh C220 pre to Gold Lions. Everything seemed to be so good, but I could never shake the feeling that my 400 w/ch into 4 ohms could be improved, but was not sure I believed the hype that more power would improve the sonic performance of what I believed was already very good. Everyone who heard my system was very blown away already.
I kept thinking of getting a second MC402 and running them in mono/parallel mode to get 800 w/ch into 4 ohms. I found a good deal from Ebay and bought 2nd MC402. I was nervous. This was a major investment. If it was not better I was going to feel kind of punked into having bought this amp. I want to report that the improvement was huge! I now have tremendous base and slam! Every aspect of the sound has improved. I cannot relate how amazing the results have been. It is like the dampers have been taken off of my speakers. Even well loved CDs sound like new to me. So for everyone saying that a sub 100W/ch will make your maggies sound great ... not so. It is true that major power makes a huge difference, at least for my 20.1s. It has been an eye opening experience. My wife is always my link to ground. She is skeptical of all the things I have done (and I love that about her), and even she has said she was amazed at the difference 2 amps made compared to one. Anyway, I no longer need a subwoofer. Tons of hi definition bass. Super mids and great coherence. It is such an eye opener.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - 800 W/ch for maggie 20.1 - dromney 23:26:32 08/27/16 (29)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.