Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Question for Satie

The issue is that the LR4 as part of a band pass on the 3.7 bass makes for 2 octaves of phase changes which would be ok on an earlier high order maggie but would make a difference in the coherence of the 3.7. The main point for him is whether he likes the one over the other, since the replacement cards for the XM9 are not expensive and he can try it out both ways.

In my case the TIV bass is far slower than the Neo8 mids so there is a slight degree of congestion that I didn't love in the 250-500 hz range with 1st order symmetrical but the problem with LR4 is that the entire 2 octaves around the XO lose their time coherence and sound phasey. Detail is more prominent and the bass panel's contribution of congestion, however small was gone. But the harmonic structure is disrupted and the time alignment is hurt and takes away from the really great imaging performance and instrumental texture. The latter was more important to me than the sort of disconnected detail you get with the LR4 symmetrical.

I think that at the 80'ish hz XO the heavy bass wire and membrane are not going to be so much of a problem even at 150 hz since the output would be down 8db.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.