Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Is there an optimal frequency to set the LP/HP XO between subs and Maggie bass panels?

The 2.5 bass panel is going to be used as a midbass in your setup so has a band pass filter. The max standard LR2 or B2 you want is 2nd order because beyond that you are going to suffer serious phase issues. Magnepan uses slow onset spaced fc where the 2nd to 4th order poles are up to two octaves away so contribute minimally to phase and group delay. You should follow REW to find out the phase behavior you end up getting. Impulse response too.

My personal favorite in sharp XOs is Butterworth 3rd LP with a 1st order. I usually space them to avoid timing issues at the XO rather than for flat FR, which is less significant for me in the bass-midbass regions, +/-3db is fine and +/-5 db is tolerable.+/-2db is phenomenal but anything better is going to have you doing lots of DSP correction. I have used analog EQ to get +/-1 db on the bass- midbass but for the sharp suckout node.I found the phase fluctuation to be more bothersome than the FR ripple it replaced. Doing the EQ on a supposedly phase compensated graphic EQ on foobar2000 did it better but I don't really apply it very often and need to recalibrate with every setup variation I try.

LR4 and LR2 are relatively easy to match to each other if you have a time delay option on your DSP. Lexicon Integra and many other HT processors are setup to cut the bass at 24db LP and the mains at 12db HP to avoid phase disruption and compensate with DSP time alignment in manual settings or measured auto setting.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Is there an optimal frequency to set the LP/HP XO between subs and Maggie bass panels? - Satie 13:41:18 08/25/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.