Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Am I damaging my Mini Maggies?

Recently, I purchased Mini Maggies on Ebay ($400; I was the only bidder). Visually, they're in great shape, and sonically, they're wonderful. I have the satellites set 5' apart on a 30" x 72" table I use as my computer desk. The base unit is centered under the table. It is positioned parallel with and 15" out from a wall.

The problem. The base is very weak. Even with the satellites playing at ear bleeding levels, the base volume is inadequate. I have tried turning the base unit 180 degrees; switching the + and - speaker cables; placing baffles on either side of the unit. Nothing works. Any ideas as to what might be the problem?

My solution. My preamp allows me to send its output via two separate pairs of jacks. I disconnected the satellites from the base unit. Now, one output is connected to an amplifier which drives the base unit, only. The other output is connected to an active 2-way crossover. The crossover's "high level" output (around 125Hz and above) is connected to another amp which drives the satellites, only. I adjust the crossover's high level volume to balance the base unit and the satellites. It works.

Second question. Is my set up a cause for concern? Might it harm the speakers? Might it harm the crossover in the base unit?

Edits: 08/24/16 08/24/16 08/24/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Am I damaging my Mini Maggies? - Ellen1910 07:21:03 08/24/16 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.