Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Quad ESL in the making

Hi thanks,

What I've done with the current Beveridge speakers is to eliminate the internal step up transformer and crossover of the Model 3's and now direct drive them with a custom Roger Modjeski made amp.

It eliminates the step-down in my tube amp and the step up drive transformer in the Beveridges lots more drive and detail for a very complex reactive load of the panels.

I drive the panels directly from the plates of the direct drive amp which has a simple 1st order cap filter to feed the panels everything at about 130hz and up...still a work in progress but sounding very very good.

I eliminated the weakest link... the subs.... and use a pair of dedicated REL S2 10" subs. This solves for almost everything with these speakers. My room is about 17x40 and is plenty loud 100db on peaks if I want -but I never listen that loud. The presentation of the Beveridge is quite haunting with the ability to hang instruments and voices in space.

On the ESLs i did stack them.. IMO overrated for the complexity introduced... certainly louder I used a futterman OTL on this set up.

The originals when refurbed are so coherent and have such a midrange purity it is hard to complain about some of their shortfalls.

Refurbished, they do excellent bass and play very loud. I venture that most people that complain never have listened to a properly refurbished pair.

Thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.