Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Stands

I've been listening to my G'MMGs since I disconnected my 20s back in May. The original plan was to have the GMMGs in front flanking the TV (although non HT) and the 20s off to the side wall hooked up to a pair of ICE amps along with a pair of Emotiva UPA mono amps.

Problem is the GMMGs have been stealing the show ever since. The only issue is the lack of deep, authoritative bass the 20s can deliver. I've got them hooked up to a REL Strata II which I feel is a great pairing. For the little Maggies these suckers will play loud when called upon. The sound-staging Maggies are known for is there of course, so no need to re-visit that aspect; although I will point out in my 17x18'ish size room the soundstage 'encapsulates' the panels; meaning there's an almost perfect sphere surrounding both panels that extend about 2-3 feet out the rear and both sides, almost perpendicular along the plane. By comparison the 20s envelop 'the entire room' with a near perfect presence of instruments and performers in front of and you sense the room itself is the integral part of the system.
I have to agree the dynamics are greatly pronounced on the GMMGs, most evident on alto and baritone sax recordings (especially when they hit that 'belch' note on occasion).

But after 90 days and a great sense of them finally being broken in, I'll probably switch them back out this weekend with the 20s. My dilemma with the 20s is they really demand their own wall but I like to watch TV (muted) while I listen to music and surf the net all at the same time.The GMMGs are perfect in this arrangement and they don't draw away attention.

I'll experiment with the 20s in different positions, one being them pushed out super wide and see how that'll work out.

the MG20s make this 18x18' room look tiny; contrary to the image, the ceiling is not 'bowed' (panorama picture).

Edits: 08/12/16 08/12/16 08/13/16 08/13/16 08/13/16 08/13/16 08/14/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.