Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Resocking Tympani's

Aside from baffle loading assistance from the bass panels there is no benefit to having either driver of the mid/tweeter besides (or not even near) the bass panels- There are particular driver - listener distances that work with the particular group delays of the crossover. The particulars of the room placement can compensate for the lower mid's dip when set apart from the midbass panel.

I have been working out a similar layout with flexibility of crossover alignments and all that the move away from the bass panel does is change the rollover of the midrange by about 1/3-1/2 of an octave upwards so requires raising the bass B3 LP a bit and adjust driver offset slightly.

This "reverse split" configuration allows you to try wall loading of the bass panels which provides an Organ worthy deep bass (and highights TT rumble). The wall loaded bass panels are like the Limage/HK setup just taken to an extreme. It leaves little room for subwoofers to fill in and the results impressed both my Jazz contrabassist brother in law and my friend with the Focal Nova Utopia. Both people who appreciate deep bass more than I do.

Unfortunately, when wall loading, you must retain the face forwards for both bass panels because you are using the mid sidewall position to catch the transverse room mode at 40 hz and its weaker double at 20hz along with the long wall mode at 56 hz and with the wall near the deep bass panel, you don't cancel out the ~33hz resonance. of the deep bass panel with the dipole null on one side. So you get room gain with minimal muddying of the bass from 20 hz to 60hz and that is very useful indeed. If you alter the angle of the midbass panel to try and get better time domain behavior you reduce the transverse modes and excite the short wall mode and particularly the problematic midbass null nodes at particular portions of the room that you can not EQ out.

So why unfortunate? since the bass panels are in a lateral spread they will have a braod arrival time at the listening seat and thus can't be completely time aligned with the midrange. Thus making the use of 1st order XO impossible. You then need to cut off the bass output fast to get it out of the way and have both drivers operating only the narrow band where the combined 2nd order mid acoustic rolloff and a 1st order HP for the mids complement the B3 LP for the bass. You just don't get the perfect cohesion that an all 1st order symmetrical XO and equidistant arc configuration of the drivers provides. This does not allow reproduction of square waves below 300 hz. Which is indeed possible in the 1st order/eqidistant setup. But that setup does not do deep bass anywhere near as well.

Edits: 08/10/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Resocking Tympani's - Satie 22:41:07 08/10/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.