Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "sub short image, compared to the 6 foot tall Maggie bass image" ...

andyr wrote:
"The vital point to me was whether the A2D and D2A conversions in the miniDSP unit would degrade my vinyl presentation ... and it doesn't!"

I was also worried about the additional ADDA processing in my miniDSP (the simple one!). Many of us have spent a lot of money in DAC... Inside the miniDSP there are no high grade processors and there is not even a good analog buffer stage. I am using my miniDSP in place of the external crossover box of my 3.6 and feed two indentical stereo power amplifiers (one for each channel). Surprise, it worked far better than expected! I have no EQ, just a plain setting similar to the original external crossovers. Sure, the bass increased by about 1.5 dB, that is what the series resistance of the coils soak up. Still, I like the result and have not set back the level of the bass. Did a fine tuning by inserting a 0.5 ohm resistor on the ribbon drivers. I hope to replace the miniDSP with a proper analog line level active low pass crossover for the bass and a passive for the high pass.

RealStereo wrote:
"How far are your maggies from the rear wall? They seem way too close for good depth IMO!"

It depends on what you mean by "good depth". Do you mean something like a neutral presentation or one with an extra portion of artificial depth due to a large cavity/room behind your speakers? It also depends on room size how far from the wall you place a dipol speaker and how it is angled in respect to boundaries and listening spot.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "sub short image, compared to the 6 foot tall Maggie bass image" ... - Roger Gustavsson 23:44:02 08/09/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.