Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MGIII active crossover?

I considered tri-amp which makes lots of sense with the 6 channel amp. I read Andy's post on MUG on bi and tri XOs. It seems like I bought the wrong XO with it being 4th order and all. I'll explore the others and the options that were recommended by you and others especially for tri-amping.
But now I have big news.....
I stripped one speaker. The ribbon tweeter was soldered in. I had to buy a soldering iron to get it out. I knew I would need one anyway for this project. BTW I had 2 years of electronics in high school but that was when dinosaurs ruled the earth. Under the ribbon are a s#*tload of staples into the sock, I counted 46 on one side of the cutout times 2 for the other side plus another 50 or so on the bottom. I hammered a small crappy screwdriver with a slightly bent tip under the fabric and staple and popped it up some. I did one side this way then pulled all the staples with the end of my Klein wire strippers and repeated for the other side. First thing I noticed were numerous breaks in the mid wire section. I tested the bass and mid and got an open circuit on each. I couldn't see a break in the bass section although it had those typical corrosion spots that others had written about. The worst were along the outside edge. I took the crappy screwdriver and gently scraped those suspect areas and the 3rd one just broke away. It was hard to tell with the corrosion on top but the wire had totally dissolved. Just for fun I was breaking the mid wire at those bad spots by barely touching it. The ribbon tweeter tested good but I'll probably just replace it so I will have all new speakers.
Except for that mid/high internal crossover which brings us back to tri-amping. It seems that I can get an active 3way crossover that will do what I want for under $300 and will sound better than the OEM passive units? I would like something plug and play. I'll have enough to do just rebuilding the speakers and modifying them for the tri-amp setup.
I took pics of the desockifying and could post them if anyone is interested.

Mac MC7106, Krell KAV-250a, Krell KAV-500, Maggie MG111, ADS 810 & 780, Pioneer SC-1522, Dahlquist 903, AR 1

Edits: 08/06/16 08/06/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.