Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Cousin just gave me distressed tympani 1-Ds what amp.

Hey all,

I'm pretty excited about this not so much because I'm an audiophile as that I collect vintage technology. I believe that the technological bits of the system are of equal weight to the audio quality which I understand to be off the charts in some circumstances.

Finally any speaker with a user group is the speaker for me.

The bad news is that they need work and at least some mylar repair. I have been lurking around trying to decide how to proceed on the restoration. The mylar damage is the only intimidating part to doing my self.

From Alex's and other post it looks like the correct way to repair the mylar would require:

Disconnecting the terminals at the bottom from the bass wires.
Drilling out the 6 outermost rivets to release the steel stretching the mylar from the perforated magnet assembly.

Do I understand that correctly?

Secondly regarding amplifiers could I expect good results using a Rane MA4. It has 4 hundred watts channels that I could use bi-amped to deliver 100 watts to each channel. They also have an MA3 that is 40 watts per channel which I think is too small.

I would like an energy efficient amplifier with preferable one knob and a power light that will meet the needs of the Tympani 1-D.

This forum is great.

Ben

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Cousin just gave me distressed tympani 1-Ds what amp. - bdg 09:38:08 07/11/16 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.