Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Active bi-amping of ET LFT-8b

Having done some more reading here, I saw some things I found thought provoking, particularly in regard to using Tympani T-IV bass panels as woofers (thank you Satie!). Crossing-over at 180Hz to Eminent Technology LFT-8b panels, I'm going to put the left and right channel T-IV bass panels right up against and perpendicular to either side wall, to prevent cancellation and create reinforcement. Free bass! Whether or not it also creates boom remains to be seen.

The LFT-8's will sit right beside the T-IV panels, but facing the listening position straight-on, so there is the possibility the imaging will suffer due to the distance difference between the LFT-8 and T-IV panels. I just want to hear what T-IV bass can sound like so positioned. With the x/o being at a relatively low 180Hz, do you think imaging WILL be affected?

The T-IV panels will be 5' from the front wall (front meaning the one the listener is looking at), so bracing the panels to it with a length of wood (as Satie does his) is out. I have been thinking I would build some new 2' deep feet and rear supports (a la Mye; a set of them would be great, but they would run me about what I paid for the T-IVs!)), and I still think so. But, as I was installing a new spring-loaded shower curtain rod in my Sister's bathroom today, the proverbial light bulb above my head lit up. Can you guess? It's worth a shot, so I'll get four short length spring-loaded rods and install them between my room's 8' ceiling and the top of each T-IV bass panel. Funny! It won't brace the middle of each MDF panel frame, but it will keep the panels from swaying. It's only temporary, unless it works better than I expect.

Edits: 07/01/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.